2.26.2006

War

Never big or strong as the others
Still did I find myself in the lead
And for reasons never really grasped
They followed.
And when I pointed in some dark direction
All ran to get there first.
As ambition grew
So too did daring
And no matter ere I led
They were at my side.
Having no taste for war
Only reluctantly there did I lead
Fighting by no rules
'Cept those seen in dreams.
Under my colors they charged
And many kin fell.
But for reasons never really grasped
Each battle was won.
On their shoulders I was hoisted
By their sweat and their blood and their faith
A great political champion I became.
I challenged the old line
And once again with reluctance
We did do battle.
I watched in horror
As they marched off to war
Believing I knew some great secret
And before the sun set
Six thousand legions clashed
And five thousand fell
Still for reasons never really grasped
This day too was won.
Some Cosmic clock declared this
To be my time
And so we took our pleasures.
But wanting ever more
I pointed toward bigger prizes
And in my name
Like mad animals they did stampede
To plant my flag.
But the day finally came
When our match was met
And all who followed me fell.
Before my adversary's court I was paraded
And while condemning my soul,
He confessed of some envy for me.
In his dark and lonely eyes
I saw a familiar look,
The same seen in my mirror.
He thought if he had my head
He would have my wisdom.
But there was none to be had
He was where he was
And I was where I was
For reasons neither could ever really grasp.